This is Northern Brewer’s Extra Pale Ale all grain kit.
- 7.5 lbs Rahr 2-row Pale
- 1 lb. Belgian Cara 8
- 0.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 20
- 2 oz Cascade @ 60 min
- 1 oz Cascade @ 1 min
- 1 packet Safale US-05
- .5 tsp Irish moss @ 15 min
Brew Day (2/23/19)
- Started heating about 3.2 gallons of water to 164F (@11 am)
- put some hot water in my cooler mash tun to get it warmer (it’s stored in my cold basement office)
- doughed-in at 11:40am – target temp 152F – hit 153F
- mashed for 1 hour – stayed at 153F for 50 mins then hit 152F for last 10
- added about 2 gallons of ~203F water for mashout – target temp 170F for 10 mins – hit about 167-170F (was unable to take a precise temp reading)
- Fly sparged with 3 gallons of ~167F water
- Collected ~6.25 gallons wort – Pre-boil gravity 1.047
- add 2 oz Cascade @ 60 min – using a mesh bag to hold the hops this time
- add .5 tbsp Irish moss @ 15min
- add 1 oz Cascade @ 1min – used a separate mesh bag
- started cooling at 3:35 pm
- cooled to ~78F in ~20 mins
- poured from kettle thru strainer into bucket, then poured hard back into kettle, then poured hard back into bucket, then poured from bucket to wide mouth fermentor
- sprinkled yeast on surface
- agitated just a bit while in fermentor but not enough to fully incorporate yeast into the liquid
- “fermometer” reads about 71F
- OG: 1.054
Racked to secondary after 8 days. I would’ve gone for 2 weeks, but next weekend wont be a convenient time to do this. Gravity reading 1.011 (5.6% ABV).
Bottled with 3.5 oz table sugar dissolved in 2 cups boiling water. This beer looks like it’ll be the clearest I’ve ever made! And it tastes really balanced and clean. No gravity reading taken.
Tastings (Late March — September 2019)
I’m not loving this beer. There’s something off in the flavor. It’s drinkable, but absolutely forgettable. I’ve been letting a few bottles age for about 6 months now, and I am still not feeling this one. The only variable I can think of from some of my normal brewing processes is that I sterilized the bottles in the dishwasher this time instead of submerging in StarSan. It also is not as clear as I had thought at bottling time. Still a looker though!