This is Northern Brewer’s Private Rye Rye Brown Ale extract kit.
- Specialty Grains:
.25 lb Wyermann Chocolate Rye
.25 lb Briess Speial Roast
.125 lb English Medium Crystal
.125 lb English Black Malt
1 lb Gold DME
6 lb Rye Malt Syrup
.5 oz Columbus (60 mins)
1 oz UK Kent Goldings (10 mins)
Brew Day (9/16/2018)
- Heated 2.5 gallons water to 125F.
- Steeped grains in mesh bag for 20 mins, with heat on, until temp reached ~165F
- brought to a boil, removed from heat and stirred in DME and extract syrup per instructions
- brought back to a boil and added .5 oz Columbus hop pellets, boiled for 50 mins
- at 15 mins left in boil added wort chiller
- at 10 mins left in boil added 1 oz Kent Goldings hop pellets
- cooled to about 90 in 15 mins
- added roughly 2 gallons cold water to bottom of fermentor
- poured wort into fermentor
- added cold water to bring to 5 gallons
- temperature hit just about 68F
- aerated wort by rocking and sloshing in the fermentor
- No gravity reading taken
- pitched dry yeast around 2:30pm
Bottled with ~4.25 oz corn sugar dissolved in 2 cups boiling water.
Tasting (October-December 2018)
This beer is decent, but a bit on the bland side. It’s a little sweet for my taste and I’d prefer a little more bitterness. It needs to be poured aggressively to get a nice head. But when it does, the head is tasty and a nice tan color and fluffy.